- The Dadap Aguilar Duo
- Still a Classical Geek at Heart
- Florante Aguilar Interview At the New York Premiere of Harana
- Top 10 Misconceptions About the Custom of Harana (Filipino Serenade)
- Press Release for HARANA KINGS US Tour
- HARANA the Movie Synopsis
- The Great Denigration of Composers
- Harana the Movie Production is Completed
- Harana and the Latin Rhythms
- Why do Filipinos Love Sad Pensive Songs?
- A Case for ‘Bayan Ko’ as Philippine National Anthem
- Searching For Sylvia – The Last Surviving Practitioner of the Kundiman Art Song
- The Portuguese Fado, the Philipine Kundiman and How an Artist Arrived at an Idea
- The Difference Between Harana and Kundiman
- The Different Stages of Harana (Serenading)
- Florante’s Guitars
- Concert “Disasters”: Getting Paid – in Quarters!
- Concert “Disasters”: Concerto for Guitar … and Lanzones!
- What’s Up with My Name?
Author Archives: F. Aguilar
Fun with my mentor maestro Michael Dadap. We’re preparing for a series of performances and a recording this year. Enjoy!
Sylvius Leopold Weiss was a rock star lutenist in the 1700s, equal to JS Bach on playing fantasies and fugues. He remains one of my fave composers, albeit a little unheralded.
Florante Aguilar’s interview at the Asian American International Film Festival’s New York premiere of HARANA. The original publication can be found here. ### Harana is a long-abandoned Filipino courtship serenade, which originated in the Spanish colonial period. In this award-winning … Continue reading
By Florante Aguilar and Fides Enriquez Harana is the vanished tradition of serenading prevalent in old Philippines. While most Filipinos are still familiar with this custom, it is mostly that – only a passing familiarity exists. We can hardly be … Continue reading
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org www.haranathemovie.com Hi-‐Res Image Available Upon Request ### FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE New Art Media Presents INTRODUCING THE HARANA KINGS San Francisco, CA June 29, 2012 – Master artists discovered in the soon to be released documentary “HARANA” coming … Continue reading
HARANA – The Search for the Lost Art of Serenade Upon his father’s death, Florante, a classically trained musician returns to the Philippines after 12 years of absence. During his stay he rediscovers the music of Harana – a long-forgotten … Continue reading
I recently had the opportunity to watch this video clip that became viral. It is a 6-minute video based on Don McLean’s anthem of a song American Pie. It is an elaborate set-up that employs a single take which must … Continue reading
Hello everyone. I know I have not blogged for almost a year. But the answer will be obvious as the fruit of my labor on various projects slowly unfold one by one this year. The most significant among them is … Continue reading
Pandangguhan/Lawiswis Lawayan – Florante Aguilar EnsembleI was once chastised for using a distinctly Latin rhythm on a popular Filipino harana song ‘Sa Gitna Ng Dilim’ on the opening scene of the Harana The Movie trailer. “Travesty!” they say, a bastardization … Continue reading